Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summer Reading Assignment Four

The Book Thief was a book that popped to me. It was a book that took place during the WW2 time period, but showed how daily lives were impacted rather than that of a soldier as most other WW2 books do. This point of view interested me because we have all heard the war stories told by soldiers who come back from large operations, but we never hear the bystanders point of view. I usually like to read about stories from WW2, so this one stood out because of its unexpected and under used point of view. Some connections I can make to the book, include my knowledge about  WW2 and what was happening in Germany and other countries. I also saw a personality connection in the hardheadedness of the Protagonist, Liesel Meminger. Another connection I could make was a text to text involving the books Saving Zasha and Finding Zasha, both from a civilian point of view, but with a very different point of view ( in finding Zasha the boy is joining the rebels and in saving Zasha the boy is hiding a German shepherd from his Russian village). I would recommend this book to any WW2 enthusiast or anyone who wants to read a tale about WW2. I would also recommend this book to anyone who would like to see WW2 from a civilian point of view instead of the soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment